The jig saw is a portable, easy-to-use, versatile and powerful tool that every professional and DIYer should have in his inventory. This underappreciated tool can cut perfect curves, can create holes and shapes in different materials.
There are hundreds of possible choices on the market, and the right decision for your machine may be a difficult situation. That’s why we decided to give you a list with the best jigsaws and a buying guide.
Best Jig Saws
We decided to give you a list with some of the best jig saws available on the market.
1. DEWALT 20V Max Jig Saw (DCS331B)
One of the best cordless options available on the market is the DEWALT 20V Max Jig Saw model. It is considered to be the best overall machine in our list. It can make every task easier, since it lacks the cord that blocks your movements.
However, this sawis not as powerful as the corded ones. It is capable of 3,000 SPM, and can offer great cutting power and blade speed. It comes with a blower fan, but it is not as sufficient as expected. This makes it difficult to see the line and make straight cuts.
This machine is not expensive, and it is used by many beginners and DIYers. However, this does not mean that professionals do not use it.Check Price on Amazon
2. BLACK+DECKER Jig Saw, Smart Select ( BDEJS600C)
The BLACK + DECKER Smart Select JigSaw is considered to be the ‘best value’ option on the market. It is definitely not expensive, but it is equipped with many features. Most of the time, the cheaper machines lack features, but this is not the same case.
The motor is 5-amp, it is not the most powerful, but it works very well. It includes a Smart Select that allows the owner to adjust the orbit. It can cut through different materials at 3000 SPM.
This jig saw can make very good decorations and bevel cuts up to 45 degrees. It is equipped with a dust blower, which makes it safer than usual. It is also considered to be very easy to use, since it has a tool-free blade change.
It is not a heavy one, which makes it perfect for people that work in different locations. It is portable, and it is not very noisy. In addition, it comes with a 2 years warranty.
However, this jig saw can not be used with U-shank blades, because of its blade-lock mechanism. Furthermore, there is no speed dial to lock the variable trigger.Check Price on Amazon
3. BOSCH JS260 120-Volt Top-Handle Jigsaw
This BOSCH model is one absolutely amazing machine, good for DIYers, beginners and home workshops. It is powerful and can cut through many materials. It can accomplish almost any task with ease.
It is very easy to control it and make curved cuts. It is one of the cheapest options available, but this does not mean that its quality is not high enough. It has a powerful 6 amp motor and can do 3,100 strokes per minute.
It comes with a multidirectional blade clamp, and it can work with different blades. Furthermore, it is equipped with a dust blower, which works very well. It comes with a carrying bag and a lot of safety features such as a lock-on button.
However, the changing of the blades may be hard sometimes, and while working with this machine you may feel very strong vibrations, which may be a problem for making straight and precise cuts.Check Price on Amazon
4. WEN 33606 6.6-Amp Variable Speed Orbital Jig Saw
The WEN Orbital Jig Saw is considered to be best for its price. It is used by many beginners and DIYers, since it is very easy to use and to set up. It is very quiet and it is not heavy, which makes it portable and good for people that work in different locations.
It features 4-position orbital selection, which makes it good for cutting versatility. It is equipped with an onboard laser and LED light that keeps the workpiece lighted, which makes it easier for the owner to follow a light.
The motor is powerful and can cut with up to 3 300 SPM, which makes it possible for the jigsaw to make cuts within different materials. It is not expensive, and it is a safe machine that includes a lock-on trigger.
However, the change of blades may be hard sometimes and it may need a lot of adjustment when working with wider materials.
Check Price on Amazon
5. Ryobi JS481LG Jigsaw
The Ryobi Jig Saw model is quite good in power and performance. It is equipped with many good features such as a dust blower and led lights. THis makes it a safe machine, and it gives the owner the opportunity to make precise cuts.
You can easily change the blades of this Ryobi model, and it is considered to be easy to use. It includes an adjustable footplate, so you can work on different surfaces. You can adjust the footplate up to 45 degrees.
As we already said, it has a powerful model and the speed can be up to 3000 strokes per minute. Furthermore, it is equipped with a comfortable grip for extra safety measures.
It’s price is very good too, it is one affordable model. However, this machine can not handle a 90-degree angle. Check Price on Amazon
6. DEWALT 20V MAX XR JigSaw ( DCS334P1)
This DEWALT Max XR JigSaw is one very powerful cordless model. It is equipped with a 5ah battery, which gives power and long battery life. It is used by many DIYers and professionals since it is a very good tool.
As we already mentioned, this is a powerful machine that can work with up to 3,2000 SPM. It has a 4-position orbital action, that optimizes the quality of the cuts you are making. It is equipped with LED lights, so you can clearly see the material you are working with.
You can easily change the blades too. It can make bevel cuts up to 45 degrees. It is considered to be a safe machine, and it is equipped with a dust blower, which helps you to have a better sight while cutting.
However, this machine is considered to be more expensive than others, and harder to set up.Check Price on Amazon
7. Makita VJ05Z 12V max CXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Jig Saw
Makita’s Lithium-Ion Cordless Jigsaw is one of the most loved machines in our list, considered to be ‘best overall’. It is small in size and it is not very heavy, which makes it perfect for people that work in different locations and need a portable machine.
Even though it is battery powered, this tool is powerful enough to accomplish every task with ease. It can be used with different materials, and its stroke speed can go up to 3000 SPM.
You power up the machine with a press of a button. It is equipped with a dust blower, which keeps the cutline visible. It comes with a tool free blade changer, which makes it easy to use.
However, there are some safety problems with the lock-on button. But, this machine is one of the cheapest options and it is very good for its price.Check Price on Amazon
What to consider when buying a Jigsaw?
Now you know which are the top 10 jig saws, but there are several things that you should better keep in mind when making your choice.
The type of the jig saw is very important. There are 4 types that you should consider:
- straight-reciprocating- most of the old and newer low-end models are straight-reciprocating types. A saw is straight-reciprocating when the blades move up and down, there is no variance in its movement.
These saws are slow, but they can make tight turns and detailed curves.
- Orbital-reciprocating- the movement that those jigsaws make is a slightly forward motion to their blade stroke. They are quicker than the first type, but they are not as accurate as them.
- Top handle- the traditional jig saws are also called top handles. They have a tall handle shaped in the form of D with a normal finger trigger inside the hand loop which is used to operate the saw.
- Barrel grip- this is a new type of jig saw that gives the ability to keep your hands lower to the material you are working with. This makes it safer than usual, and increases the control of the worker. Most of the time this type of jig saw comes with a thumb switch, not a finger trigger.
The cutting speed usually varies between models. Most of the time, the jig saws have adjustable speed that starts at 500 SPM and can go up to 4000 strokes per minute at their maximum.
The tool can be operated with a trigger, or an adjustable dial. It is better if you can afford a saw that has high cutting speed, since it makes the work easier and faster. However, if you are a DIYer you do not need to spend much on that.
Most of the jigsaws have between 5 and 7 amps of power. It seems like a small difference, but it actually matters a lot. Power is important, especially if you are going to do bigger work. A powerful machine is more stable and can cut through harder materials.
So, if you are going to accomplish a hard task, you are a professional and you need a powerful machine, then you should invest in high amperage. However, if you are not going to work with wide materials, and you do not need a lot of power to accomplish your tasks then you can save some money and buy a less powerful machine.
Blade Type & Material
A jig saw can have two types of blades- U-shank and T-shank. T-shank is used by a lot of professionals, it locks easily and can create tight curves and decorative designs with ease.
U-shank may require tools for blade changing, which makes them not as popular as the T-shark. There are different materials which can be used for making blades, here are they:
- tungsten carbide- very expensive ones, but they can resist at very high temperatures.
- bi-metal blades- these blades made from carbon steel can work at high speed, they are flexible and can stay sharp for a longer period of time.
- high carbon steel blades- these blades are less expensive, they are good for construction work. They dull easily and are flexible.
Of course, there are some additional features beyond speed and model that have to be considered too.
- Battery-powered or corded- a jigsaw can be corded or battery-powered. Most of the professionals prefer to get a corded machine since the battery can be easily drowned when having a hard task.
However, for people that need something portable- the battery powered is a better option.
- Dust management- Usually a jig saw will not make a lot of dust, but will create chunks out of the material that is used. These chunks can create dangerous situations, that’s why it is always a good idea to get a machine with dust blowers and dust collectors.
- Blade change system- if you are going to work with different materials, or on bigger projects then you will most likely have to change the blades often. That’s why you should look for a saw that has an easy blade changing system.
- Weight and size- if you are a professional and you are going to place the machine in your big workplace, then you should not care about this feature. However, if you are a DIYer, you are going to work in different locations, or you just don’t have a lot of space, then you should take into account the weight and size of the machine.
The safety features are one of the most important ones that should always be taken into account. Jig saws are considered to be safer than most of the saws, thanks to the many built-in features, such as LED lights, which help the user to see where he is cutting all of the time.
You should always look for safety features when it comes to buying a saw, since these machines are powerful and can put you in many dangerous situations. Even if you are a professional with experience it is better to invest in safety equipment and features.
In conclusion, we can say that the jig saws are very powerful machines that can cut curves, and have different designs within different materials. In order to make the right choice for your purchase, you should think of the tasks you are going to accomplish.
We have given you a list with the best jig saws on the market, and we also have given you a list of features you should look for in a good machine. Hopefully, we were helpful enough! Good luck!
Frequently Asked Questions
1.What makes a good jig saw?
Having a lot of features and powerful motors make a jigsaw good. There are different features that have to be considered, such as power, motor, additional ones, etc. Before making your purchase you should check all of those features.
2.How do I choose a jigsaw?
It may be very hard to make the right choice. However, choosing a jigsaw usually comes down to your budget, the built-in features you are looking for, the tasks you are going to accomplish, and the compatibility with your battery system.
Our advice is to do some good research before buying a jigsaw, since there are many good options available on the market.
3. What are some important safety tips for Jig Saw?
A jigsaw is a powerful machine and there are some safety tips that have to be followed in order for dangerous situations to be avoided.
- Always unplug the saw and remove the battery when you are changing the blades.
- Do your best to avoid dangerous kickbacks.
- Do not turn on the saw when the blade is against the material.
- Do not force the saw.
- Always wear safety equipment.
4. Which jig saw is best?
We gave you a list of the best jig saws. We can’t say which one is best for you, since it fully depends on the task you are going to accomplish and the budget you have.